Saturday, October 2, 2010

31 for 21: Day 2...At the Pediatrician

I remember a trip to the pediatrician after Hailey was born for a well visit.  After her exam and vaccinations, we discussed Andrew's progress at the time.  Although I will never remember how old either of my kids were at the time, I will never forget what their doctor said to me at that visit.


Andrew in the recovery room with me.
 As we talked about Andrew and his progress in Birth to Three, I remember saying something about being so happy with Andrew's progress and how hard we were both working to help him become successful in meeting his next milestone.  Dr. Sude, the kids' pediatrician told me that she remembers discussing me with the two other doctors in the practice shortly after Andrew was born.  Dr. Sude was the first of the doctors in the practice that came to visit us in the hospital the afternoon that Andrew was born.  I had already been notified of the hospital pediatrician's suspected diagnosis of Down syndrome.  She told me that she was so impressed with the way I was handling Andrew's diagnosis and my positive outlook of a potentially devastating time of my life.  I know that many families are devastated when they learn their newborn has Down syndrome.  At the time, I didn't consider myself more knowledgeable about Down syndrome than any other parent who receives the diagnosis post-natally.  She remembers how thrilled I was...Andrew is my first child, the boy that I always wanted and named after my beloved grandfather.  His diagnosis was secondary to me.  I knew that there would be time for research and time for reflection.  But, most importantly to me, she remembers that I told her that I was chosen to be Andrew's mother and there was a reason that he was chosen just for me.  And although I wasn't sure why I was chosen, I knew that someday during our journey together, I would come to realize why Andrew was sent to me.

As I remember my time in the hospital with Andrew, I remember how much love I felt for my little, fragile son on that morning that he was born.  I remember calling my mother with the wonderful news that her first grandson was born and the concerned, yet confident tone in her voice when she told me that everything would be all right and everyone will love Andrew, regardless of his diagnosis.  But most of all, I remember meeting Dr. Sude for the first time that afternoon and sensing her understanding of my philosophy of Andrew's birth.

No comments:

Post a Comment