Saturday, October 23, 2010

31 For 21: Day 23...The Buddy Walk Numbers

2010 Andrew's All Stars
I know I already mentioned the Buddy Walk that was held at Hammonasset State Park in Madison last Saturday, but I have an update.  Our team, Andrew's All Stars raised $1825.00 this year!  It was less than last year, but I have been so crazy with everything else, that I didn't send out our donation request letters until the week before the walk.  And I only had time to email them out so only people that are on my email list got the letter plus Facebook friends and readers of this blog.

I feel really terrible that I slacked off on raising money this year.  I know that I have been doing a lot of work for the CDSC this year, but I always want to do more, and I expect more from myself.  The Buddy Walk is our major, and I mean MAJOR source of funding for the year.  Without the success of the Buddy Walk, we would not be able to do many of the things that we do to support our families.  Our annual convention this month is one of them.  I will be presenting a session at the convention this year, titled "New Parent Discussion Panel."  It's designed for new and expectant parents.  I will be presenting with Cheryl McAuliffe, the chair of the Holland Committee, which is our new parent support team.  We provide a first line of contact for new and expectant parents and send them a packet of current information about Ds, and also includes a handmade baby blanket (I also knit some of these!).  I hope to be able to provide support to new parents during this session and find out how they need that support and how the CDSC can help them.  I wish this sort of session was available to me when I first had Andrew; I think it would have been helpful to know more about what programs were available and what the CDSC does.

But back to the Buddy Walk...I have read unofficial numbers so far, but no final totals yet.  I have read that over 2500 people attended the walk and we have raised over $100,000!  That is already more than last year.  I am so thankful and amazed by the amount of support that our community of friends and family provide every year, both with their donations and their support at the walk.  I think I cry every year when I see how much support and programs we can provide to our families. 

So, a big THANK YOU to or family and friends who not only supported us last week with your donations, but also to those who walked with us on that cold and windy day...my mother-in-law Stephanie, my aunts Melanie and Geri, my uncles Ed and Steve, and my cousin Carly and her friend Jose.  We are so thankful for your support!  Oh yeah, if you've been meaning to make your donation, but forgot about it, there is still time at www.ctdownsyndrome.org.

Here is our list of supporters this year (in no particular order):
Patricia Boyle
The Bassette Family
Mike's Truck & Trailer Repair (Mike & John Maselli)
The Sim Family
Geri & Steve Nelson
Stephanie Yahara
Pamela Mola
The Reeves Family
Carol & Charles Cattanach
Allison Herold
Sarah Roy
Robyn Bacon

No comments:

Post a Comment