Friday, October 29, 2010

31 For 21: Day 29...Count Me In


This is a great song, written for Sesame Street by long-time writer, Emily Perl Kingsley.  Emily's son, Jason was born with Down syndrome and he was the first child with Ds to appear on Sesame Street.  Jason, now in his 30s, co-wrote a book, Count Us In, with his long-time friend Mitchell Levitz.  I have gotten the opportunity to meet both Jason and Mitchell on two occasions.  First, at the NDSC Convention in Boston in 2008 and then again at the CDSC Convention in Cromwell, CT in 2009.  Each time, I was impressed with their story-telling abilities and the clarity in which they speak.  They make me excited for Andrew's future.  Just listening to them tell about what they are doing in their lives...their jobs, their living situations, makes me feel blessed to have Andrew.  The opportunities that are available for Andrew now are sky-high, mostly due to the many, many families that have come before us to advocate for their children, and in turn, advocate for Andrew.

"Count Me In" is a wonderful song about acceptance.  That is all I really want for Andrew.  I was people to not judge him because of his diagnosis, but to judge him for who he is as person first.  That's why I try to remind others to use "People First" language.  As in, "a child with Down syndrome" and not a "Down's child."  It's become an automatic correction on my part whenever I hear someone speaking incorrectly and not using people first language.  I will also not hesitate to severe ties with a contact, be it personal or professional because they continue to either use the "R" word or any other unacceptable language that discriminates against my son.  It is rude and disrespectful, especially when I have repeatedly asked someone to respectfully change their language.  If I don't advocate for Andrew, no one else is going to.  I owe it to him and to his peers with any disability to promote the use of appropriate language when referring to them.  Baby steps, baby steps...and a small step for man, a giant leap for mankind.  I can only hope to make the baby steps in an effort to change the world.  But I will reach for the stars and hope to touch them...

No comments:

Post a Comment