Monday, October 25, 2010

31 for 21: Day 25...A Small Step (or a Small Jump)

Months and months have passed by as I've watched Hailey jump in the air or jump off the last step of the stairs.  Andrew has been trying and trying to jump.  He bends down with his thighs parallel to the floor and tries to jump.  He manages to get one foot off the floor consistently.  And we clap for him...so thrilled that he is trying so hard.  That's what he does.  He tries and tries and doesn't stop trying until he finally reaches his goals.  I work alongside of him, encouraging him with every step he takes or every falter in his path.  I never seem to need to urge him to try again; he does that on his own. 

Today I was able to cheer him on as he took another small step towards one of his goals...jumping with two feet off the ground at once.  We were at my mother's this afternoon and I was holding Andrew's hand as he stood facing me.  I was talking with my mother, not really paying attention to Andrew.  He began practicing his jumping.  For weeks, Andrew had been squatting down and jumping up, only lifting one foot off the floor each time.  But today, he actually jumped off the ground with both feet!  He did it over and over again until he was tired out.  We were so excited for his accomplishment!  He got lots of kisses and hugs from me and I couldn't wait to get home to show Daddy his new trick.

At home, however, we learned of other news.  My father-in-law was brought to the VA Hospital this afternoon.  He had not been feeling well, and being in his 70s, my mother-in-law thought it best to take him in.  He hasn't eaten in days and only drank some fluids.  Being diabetic, we knew that this was dangerous for him.  We learned that he could either have a blockage or a kink in his intestines, both of which could require surgery.  They are keeping him overnight tonight to keep an eye on him.  In the morning, depending on the results of his CAT scans, the doctors will decided if he needs surgery.  I am hoping that surgery won't be necessary and that the blockage can be cleared without it.  I have been saying some prayers for him and ask for more as you can.

Right before the kids went to bed tonight, Andrew showed off his jumping to my mother-in-law and Daddy.  He was unsure about himself at first, but with my encouragement he began jumping and jumping and jumping.  Hailey also stole Grandma's phone and had quite a pretend conversation with "Poppy" on the phone.  We told them that he was at the doctor and would be back soon, so Hailey thought she would call him.  I wish that I had my phone with me so I could videotape her pretending to talk to Poppy.  It went something like, "Hi Poppy.  It's Princess Hailey.  Hi!  Yeah, okay.  I will.  No puppies."  Then I finally made her say good-bye and give Grandma back her phone before we lost track of it.

Everyone have a great Tuesday.  I have a few posts to catch up on, so hopefully I'll get up some great photos of the kids from this month by tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment